Forum Discussion

Home_224
Level 6
5 years ago

Set the media retention period

Dear All,

I want to dedicate the scope of media to run the full and differential backup and keep for 1 month and 2 weeks, so that I can full utitilization the media and not to buy extra media to serve full backup media and differential backup individual. 

Can you advice on that the setting/

Thanks,

• NetBackup usually does a reasonable job of managing media using the default settings. 

One thing that may interfer with this is if you are removing media from the library before it becomes FULL. Another possibility is that some of these media settings have been altered from their defaults. 

I'm not entirely clear what the problem is that you are trying to solve. You should be able to estimate the amount of data that is backed up (on average) each differential and full backup. This should guide you to the number of media required for your backup cycle. You may want to review the NetBackup Administration Guide Volume 1 which has more details. 

11 Replies

• Home_224 How do you mean by dedicating media to run full and differential backup? As far as retention period is concern, you can control this using SLP or via policy configuration itself. 

davidmoline
      Level 6

Home_224 If you mean to mix both full and differential backups to the same media, this can be done. It is not good practice and may in fact cause more media to be used than by using the default setting of one data retention per media. 

If you want to do this, there is a tick box on the master server host properties under the media section "Allow multiple retentions per media". 

Home_224
        Level 6

Dollypee davidmoline 

To make this change, as I find the the daily job to using different media , the weekly backup use another new media for backup. Therefore, I always to insert new media to ensure the enough media for whole week, buy a lot of media to fill up the library.  I am not sure my suggestion to improve the media expense.