Forum Discussion

7 years ago

SLP configuration

Hi Everybody

Question : What is the exact configuration of SLP in my scenario

My scenario : we have one EMC datadomain and one HP tape library , I've planned to copy all the backups to datadomain then duplicate them to tapes .I want that data expire immediately after duplicating to tape .

I will list the current configuration below , as you see by this config data does not expire after duplication .

12 Replies

• Kasra_Hashemi wrote:

Hi Everybody

Question : What is the exact configuration of SLP in my scenario

My scenario : we have one EMC datadomain and one HP tape library , I've planned to copy all the backups to datadomain then duplicate them to tapes .I want that data expire immediately after duplicating to tape .

I will list the current configuration below , as you see by this config data does not expire after duplication .

Your current config will not expire backup after duplication.

I have no idea why anyone would want to do this.

By expiring backups after duplication, you will effectively have very poor or no deduplication on your DD. 
    This means that your company has wasted a LOT of money purchasing a dedupe appliance. 
    You may as well replace the DD with standard, cheap disk. 

• THere could be several reasons why this is happening. First is that you ave some base image with most of the unique blocks still not expired so DD holds those bytes. Second - your backups are happening more frequently than DD's cleanup interval so there is always a non-expired image on the box.

I would say the use case of pure staging device is a waste of money when implemented with DD as cost per GB is quite high comparing to a standard storage

Mouse

Looks okay to me but I still trying to understand what are you trying to achieve.