Forum Discussion

FujSOL
Level 4
13 years ago

Symantec Endpoint Protection - NetBackup 7.1.03

Hello

I was wondering if there is any definitive documents/url which outline what exclusions should be put in place when it comes to both the NetBackup Server (which also serves as a Storage Server with MSDF) and Virtual Backup Host.

What interesting is that as a Virtual Backup Host - it will use the SAN transport mode to backup VMs.  Are there any specific exclusions that should be made in this respect?

Accordingly what would need to excluded on Windows Clients and Linux Clients.

Many thanks

FujSol

6 Replies

• Forgot to mention the exclusions are what should be set on Symantec EndPoint Protection 12.1 SEP.

Fujsol

• Checking the Symantec DB (internal) I found no documents explainng that any exclusions are required.

I am runn SEP on one of my servers here, no exclusions are set and it works fine.

Regards,

Martin

• ...warning you that your antivirus programs shouldn't "clean" any NetBackup images which it may think contains a virus or malware:

TechAlert: Antivirus software may silently clean NetBackup disk images, which can lead to data loss.

http://symantec.com/docs/TECH60396

You would only need to worry about exclusions on your servers (not clients) and I BELIEVE excluding your NetBackup directory/folder AND any applicable paths for your DSUs and DSSUs would cover you.  (I will be quickly corrected if I am wrong :) )

• Nice one Chris ...

Apologies, I'm not sure why that didn't come up in my search ...

Marin

• Many thanks for your responses.  I have accordingly applied the recommendations.

FujSol