Forum Discussion

riazjee
Level 4
11 years ago

Symentec Netbackup - Failed Job Retry Attempt duration

Dear All,

We are using Symentec Netbackup (7.6.0.1) to backup the Oracle databases. As part of our policy, we do backup the arhivelogs after every 30 minutes. Sometimes the backup job is failed, as result of which Netbackup tries to re-run that job after 3 hours (as per master server global settings which is 1 tries per 3 hours). This results in almost 3 hours gap for archivelogs backup (that we should run every 30 minutes).

Can we define the failed job retry interval at the policy level without affecting other policies OR even disable the failed job retry attempt at policy level (so that after 30 minutes, the job will be executed as per schedule)?

Regards,

• I have seen this issue since NBU 5.1 days (first noticed it in 2008) with no real solution. Just workarounds...

Also mentioned in this post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-not-starting-fequency-based-backups

I have seen it back in NBU 5.x days where hourly log backups would fail for some reason, but then also stops submitting hourly backups.

The Global  # tries every ## hours kicks in and does not re-evaluate schedule until ## hours have expired.

Back in pre-6.0 days, Error/Reason would be quite clearly logged in bpsched log (If I’m not mistaken, All Log Entries as well):

skipping backup of client xxxx, policy yyyy, schedule zzzzz because it has exceeded the configured number of tries

I was honestly hoping that this would go away with the demise of bpsched, but seemingly not!

Just more difficult because that ‘skipping’ message seems to be well-hidden now….

Seems like a bug that has never been brought to the attention of the ‘right’ people?

Workarounds:
    1. Change Global number of tries every ## hours.
    This cannot be set at policy or client level and will affect all policies.

2. Kick off a manual backup after the failure. 
    If successful, policy will run according to schedule again.

3 Replies

• I have seen this issue since NBU 5.1 days (first noticed it in 2008) with no real solution. Just workarounds...

Also mentioned in this post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-not-starting-fequency-based-backups

I have seen it back in NBU 5.x days where hourly log backups would fail for some reason, but then also stops submitting hourly backups.

The Global  # tries every ## hours kicks in and does not re-evaluate schedule until ## hours have expired.

Back in pre-6.0 days, Error/Reason would be quite clearly logged in bpsched log (If I’m not mistaken, All Log Entries as well):

skipping backup of client xxxx, policy yyyy, schedule zzzzz because it has exceeded the configured number of tries

I was honestly hoping that this would go away with the demise of bpsched, but seemingly not!

Just more difficult because that ‘skipping’ message seems to be well-hidden now….

Seems like a bug that has never been brought to the attention of the ‘right’ people?

Workarounds:
    1. Change Global number of tries every ## hours.
    This cannot be set at policy or client level and will affect all policies.

2. Kick off a manual backup after the failure. 
    If successful, policy will run according to schedule again.

• Hi Marianne,

Thanks for the reply. Is there any place where we can post our product enhancement requests?

Regards,

• The Ideas section is the right place: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas 

But... I often wonder if Product Managers even look at this...

Please post there and then post the link here so that fellow Connect users can vote.

Next, try to get hold of Product Management via your local Symantec SE.
    (You may have to contact your local Symantec Partner to get hold of Symantec SE.)