Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Training

Just looking for some feedback on the Netbackup 7.0 Training. Is it worth taking? Or will the forums be good enough? I currently have a 6.5.5 environment that I inherited. So far I have been able to fumble through with the occasional help from everyone here on the forums. Let me know your thoughts...>Thanks.

• A suggestion would be to sign up for the troubleshooting classes?

or the money in setting up a proper lab env where you can test out the latest stuff

I have a 2 high end pcs with latest multicore CPU+8 GB and vmware workstation. With that in place and a vm for  Master + Media + clients running Exchange/Sharepoint/VCB or new VM vStorage API/various agents similar to my prod env. In place of physical lib and SAN I have a VTL, VSAN, Virtual Robot(software which works with iscsi and mimics are 2 tape drive lib). For some of the Virtual SAN (for some VTL licenses you need to be a partner to get your hands on the virtual appliance  images.) I think there are some opensource offerings or iscsi ones which are free.

I guess you could even try out the new features like MSDP(puredisk) + ops center and other less often used options/features like BMR,Vaulting,SLP. It's up to you..depending on your time and commitment to picking up the stuff. For things like Vmware setup you may need some help from your colleagues if do do vmware administration, exchange or sharepoint. A lab setup of these products is not rocket science but then again not so straightforward(there's always google and youtube.)

7 Replies

• I've been on the NBU 7 admin training course. I found it quite useful but I've been using Netbackup for a few years now and to be honest if my boss hadn't told me I had to go on it I wouldn't have bothered.

I've found the forums/symantec connect pages very useful (sometimes they are more helpful than symanted support) and most of my queries are answered here.

• Hi, NBU 7.0 has many changes compared to NBU 6.5.5.
    Some are:

Deduplication on media server and client

Changes in the way of backing up virtual machines

Changes in the reporting systems (OpsCenter)

Change in database

Changes in authentication and authorization (NBAC), etc.

If you got prior knowledge can perhaps take a course that covers only the differences.

• Training usually starts at the beginning and if you already know a version of NetBackup hen you will probably be bored with being told about volume groups nd policy structures.

• A suggestion would be to sign up for the troubleshooting classes?

or the money in setting up a proper lab env where you can test out the latest stuff

I have a 2 high end pcs with latest multicore CPU+8 GB and vmware workstation. With that in place and a vm for  Master + Media + clients running Exchange/Sharepoint/VCB or new VM vStorage API/various agents similar to my prod env. In place of physical lib and SAN I have a VTL, VSAN, Virtual Robot(software which works with iscsi and mimics are 2 tape drive lib). For some of the Virtual SAN (for some VTL licenses you need to be a partner to get your hands on the virtual appliance  images.) I think there are some opensource offerings or iscsi ones which are free.

I guess you could even try out the new features like MSDP(puredisk) + ops center and other less often used options/features like BMR,Vaulting,SLP. It's up to you..depending on your time and commitment to picking up the stuff. For things like Vmware setup you may need some help from your colleagues if do do vmware administration, exchange or sharepoint. A lab setup of these products is not rocket science but then again not so straightforward(there's always google and youtube.)

• Generally 5 days classroom training will be introduction to netbackup, it's terminology, and configuration. If you are already working with NBU, training will be like a already sawn movie. Main corse will not discuss about the features indetail. (BMR,Dedup etc). After finishing my five days training i came out of the class with many unanswered things.(Not because of the trainer, because of the course content).

The setup suggested by merv is very much interesting. If you can arrage the same setup for yourself, it will be fair enough for learning NBU 7.0, as you already know 6.5.5.

Regards..

• Thanks Everyone....since we are a massive VMware shop already, I will follow Merv's suggestion.

• Another good reason for a test environment is to do upgrades and stuff there first..e.g. the new 7.1 FA is just round the corner so you try out the new features w/o breaking into a sweat