Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Unable to configure replaced tape drive | netbackup 6.5

Hi All,

Recently a tape drive was replaced. This tape drive is connecetedn to filer through FC end to end connection. While configuring this tape drive we are unable to detect this tape drive at Netbackup level. Checkpoint infront of this tape library is disabled and it displays a message "tape drive attached to remote host". Any suggestions on how to get this corrected?

Thanks in advance 

• Hi All,

Issue has been resolved by rebooting the filer. After the filer reboot we are able to see the tape drive discovered at Netbackup level. 

Thaks all for your comments. 

7 Replies

• Hi All,

Issue has been resolved by rebooting the filer. After the filer reboot we are able to see the tape drive discovered at Netbackup level. 

Thaks all for your comments. 

Marianne
      Level 6

IMHO, you should've mark Genericus's post as solution.

Rebooting the filer would have the same effect as stopping and restarting processes on the filer.

• Since you do not indicate your OS type or the NDMP filer type, or the tape drive types, all we can do is throw out SWAG.

I have had issues with my NDMP drives where if the filer/drives were disconnected for a while, I had to manually stop and start the process on the filer. (cough, cough NetAPP)

fcadmin config   -   Check output - one will be online - that is the active adapter:

Adapter Type      State                  Status

---------------------------------------------------

0a   initiator  CONFIGURED.            online          - THIS IS THE ONE TO RESET!

0b   initiator  CONFIGURED.            offline

sysconfig -t      ( see no drives )

storage disable adapter 0a

storage enable adapter 0a

sysconfig -t    ( see all the drives )

Now you can scan your drives 

I have had other issues with NDMP drives, where I had to manually run the OS Level commands to update them.

Of course, any tape drive first must be visible at the OS level - make sure you can run scan or sgscan and see them

If you can see the drive at the OS level, you can run this 

tpconfig -update -drive -type HCART -path DRIVE.PATH -nh NDMP.HOST -asciiname NB.DRIVE.NAME -shared NO -drstatus UP -robot NUMBER -robtype TLD -robdrnum DRIVENUMBER

You will need to replace the uppercase stuff with your values.

Deepak_Irani1
      Level 3

Hi Genericus,

Our OS is solaris. We are using Netapp filers through local NDMP. The tape drive is LTO4. The drive is not coming in scan command as the drive is not connected to server instead it is directly connected to filer. On filer i can see the new tape drive through storage show command. 

At OS level if I run scan -changer, I can see the new tape drive listed. However, if I try to configure the drive through netbackup utility I see new drive is mentioned as attached to remote host. I have attached the screenshot of Properties tab of new tape drive. 

Also, we have tried to reset the port. But no luck.

Marianne
        Level 6
        You forgot to attach the screenshot.

Please read through previous post again.
        Scan on media server will not show devices attached to filer. It will only show devices attached to the media server.
        Please use commands shared in above post to check drive connectivity on the filer.

The NBU for NDMP Admin guide will also guide you regarding device config.