Forum Discussion

abhinavs
Level 3
9 years ago

Unable to disable nbemm logs

Hi All,

We are unable to disable the nbemm logs. I tried below commands and checked the nblog.conf file and the command is taking effect but still the logs are generating.

Ran below command

>vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=0 -s DiagnosticLevel=0

Checked the settings with below command

vxlogcfg -l -o nbemm -p NB

Also, checked the nblog.conf file, the command is taking effect and DebugLevel and DiagnosticLevel is set to 0. But still the logs are generating.

Any suggestion.

Is it possible to delete the nbemm log folder, also how we can delete the folder.

• unified logs can not be disabled.. nbemm is one of those 

even if we delete the log directory it will create it again and start writing it..

only thing that you can do is.. manage it.. in terms of size, number of files & level of logging..

use the below commands to mange it..

to manage the size of the unified logs for nbemm

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s RolloverMode=FileSize -s MaxLogFileSizeKB=51200   ( you can change the file size based on your need)

to mange the number of nbemm log files( you can chage the number of files based on your need)

vxlogcfg -a -p 50936 -o 111 -s NumberOfLogFiles=5

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s LogRecycle=true  --> to remove the old files once it reach the number of logfiles limit

to mange the level of logging

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=5 -s DiagnosticLevel=5

you can do this for all unified logs by using -o default instead of nbpem origionator id

referece :-

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH44244

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH44292

7 Replies

• Hi Abhinavs,

Even though you disable or make it as Verbose 0, some logs will generate.I suggest you do on all master and media server too.

If you make it verbose 0, your log level is less, it does't mean you disable the log. To disable log you need to remove the nbemm from the /usr/openv/logs(unix) and C:\Program files\veritas\netbackup\logs(windows)

• Why do you need to disable nbemm logging completely?

I feel that this log should always be enabled - even if at lowest possible logging settings.

• unified logs can not be disabled.. nbemm is one of those 

even if we delete the log directory it will create it again and start writing it..

only thing that you can do is.. manage it.. in terms of size, number of files & level of logging..

use the below commands to mange it..

to manage the size of the unified logs for nbemm

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s RolloverMode=FileSize -s MaxLogFileSizeKB=51200   ( you can change the file size based on your need)

to mange the number of nbemm log files( you can chage the number of files based on your need)

vxlogcfg -a -p 50936 -o 111 -s NumberOfLogFiles=5

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s LogRecycle=true  --> to remove the old files once it reach the number of logfiles limit

to mange the level of logging

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=5 -s DiagnosticLevel=5

you can do this for all unified logs by using -o default instead of nbpem origionator id

referece :-

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH44244

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH44292

• Thanks for the reply, but we are facing space issue due to nbemm logs, I tried it to set to minnimum level but still its generating 51200 KB size log in just 2 to 5 min.

@RamNagalla 

Thanks for the commands, I will configure the logs than. But I don't understant why its generating logs so quickly.

• its depends on how busy the nbemm process is

once you set up the log recycle with number of log files you should be in a good position to handel the space issue.. since it will remove the old log files automatially..

i guess you may need to restart the process to start the log recycle as configured.. after running those command if its not recycleing the older logs.. just stop the netbackup once... remove all exsting logs and then start it..

then it should start recycling as configured..

• Hi,

Do we need to restart netbackup services every time we change the unified logs setting.

I tried to run those command but its not taking effect.

• you may need to restart it as i suggested it earlier... it may not be required all times.. but yes you need to do it when you find the settings are not taking effect..

you need to plan these log setting and based on the space avaliablity and need and do it, and try to avoid frequent changes..