Forum Discussion

riazjee
Level 4
7 years ago

Using GROUPSIZE for SQL Server

Dear All,

I am trying to use GROUPSIZE parameter but it seems NB is ignoring the parameters. Below are the Script file contents:

GROUPSIZE 3
OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE "RiazTest1"
SQLHOST "<DB Server>"
SQLINSTANCE "<Instance>"
NBSERVER "<NB Master>"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE
OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE "RiazTest2"
SQLHOST "<DB Server>"
SQLINSTANCE "<Instance>"
NBSERVER "<NB Master>"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE
OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE "RiazTest3"
SQLHOST "<DB Server>"
SQLINSTANCE "<Instance>"
NBSERVER "<NB Master>"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

I am attaching the NB console output.

Environment:

NB Master: 8.0

Client: 8.0

Client OS: Windows 2008 R2

SQL Server: 2012 SP3

I've even tried with database $ALL option without any success.

Can you please guide me how to correctly use GROUPSIZE?

Thanks

• This is weird - have a look at this entry at the beginning of the backup:

14:50:52.531 [6568.8332] <4> CDBbackmain:: OperationsAreGroupable: INF - The batch file is not groupable because a standard policy type has been selected for backup.

EDIT: 

I think this entry in the manual is key :

The method for aggregating database Snapshot Client backups is called backup "grouping".

So - only supported for Snapshot Client policies? 

24 Replies

• I am not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve, but GROUPSIZE defines how many databases backed up (snapshotted) at once and if you look into your log file you'll see that all 3 DBs have been snapped at the same time. So the script is working as expected, if you are looking to implement any other behaviour please explain what do you want.

riazjee
      Level 4

Thanks for your reply.

As per my understanding, when we use groupsize, the backup of grouped databases should go to one SQL Server Image which is not happening in my scenario.

As an example, please have a look at the atatched screenshot taken from the Netbackup SQL Admin Guide that shows how a grouped backup output should look like.

Regards,

Mouse

Thinking of that the screenshot has been taken in 2006 things may have changed on the logging side.

Still, I hazard to guess it's likely working as expected but with logging format being different. The reason why I think this way is because the log only mention one Backup ID been created:  backupid=<DB Server>_1526370994

To confirm, I would use bplist -l -R -C <client> -backupid=<DB SERVER>_1526370994 -t 15 /

and check how many files are in that image

Some references https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/17221771-126559330-0/id-SF930841970-126559330