Forum Discussion

hraju
Level 4
15 years ago

Unknown Dg appears in Disk Groups with some or all disks

Hello,
Since support from Symantec is slow (not every case, but this time), I am asking this on forum.
I am doing a new installation and suddenly I have this new DG called "Unknown Dg". There are disks with status foreign and type Dynamic. I cannot do anything with these disk (oh powerfull SFW). Usually I can destroy DG or remove disk from DG etc, but not in this case.
Reason for having this situation:
- I made two cluster Disk Groups with same name on different servers with different disks and suddenly disks from this Disk groups are in disk group Unknown Dg
- I reinstalled SFW and suddenly all disks from all dynamic Disk groups are in Unknown Dg ;(

I searched documentation and found this:
If the cluster software attempts to fail over a disk group to another node that has a disk group with the same name or if you move a disk group to another node that has a disk group with the same name, unpredictable results can occur. (well now we know the result).

I searched internet and found this: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287444.htm (there is part telling you to reinstall SFW - but this makes it even worse)

I found also this:
vxtool is used to clear the SFW Private Region from a disk and would be used in instances when you were attempting to destroy a Disk Group or remove a problem Disk that has a corrupted private region on it. The resetmbr clears the private region and writes a new signature to the disk.

Do you think that vxtool can help me with this ?

my config: w2k3 r2 sp2, VSFW 5.1 sp1, fiber HBA qlogic QLE2460, and IBM DS8300 array

• So I worked on this with Symantec support. We tried vxtool but with no avail, because we got mesages saying that disc is not usable !

but after I managed to have all disks back. What I did is:

- installed all recommended Windows fixes (2 recommendation from qlogic - HBA manufacturer, 2 recommendation from IBM manufacturer of SDD DSM)
    - updated driver of HBA - STOR Miniport (to recommended level)
    - updated firmware, bios, fcode and EFI of Qlogic HBA (everything is in one download package - I did it via Sansurfer FC HBA GUI Manager)
    - installed Subsystem Device Driver DSM Version 2.4.2.1-2 from IBM
    - configured all two HBAs from Sansurfer FC HBA GUI Manager

this helped me to get back all disks, but one - quorum disk was still missing in VEA

so removed both cluster nodes from cluster with command "cluster node /forcecleanup"

and than when I did a rescan, I was able to import Disc group with no missing discs. Then I destroyed all disc groups (except BasicDG with boot disc). And I am going to configure this cluster again.
    So I think, that problem was because the servers were part of MSCS cluster.

But first I will create a quorum disc group and then create MSCS cluster. I hope it will work out this way.

I will let you know about the outcome.

11 Replies

• hraju - in MSCS, the diskgroups that are created as a resource have most of the right-click options grayed out in the VEA and that is normal.

There are 2 ways to work with the diskgroups that are part of the cluster while the cluster service is not running:
    1. Go to device manager, show hidden devices and disable the Cluster Disk Driver. (may need to reboot). After this, MSCS no longer has its hands on the diskgroups. So you can do everything in the VEA gui. Once done, you will need to re-enable the cluster disk driver.
    2. Just use the CLI. vxdg command can still be used to import/deport the diskgroups by using the -f parameter. (force)