Forum Discussion

Ken_Morley
Level 3
15 years ago

BESR 2010 - Granular Restore Error: Outlook 2003 or newer not detected

I am evaluating Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 for several clients using Windows Small Business Server 2008.

When I click on TOOLS -> RUN GRANULAR RESTORE OPTION and select the EXCHANGE MAIL tab, I immediately get a "Granular Restore Error" window with the following text:

Microsoft Outlook 2003 or newer not detected.  Outlook is required for Exchange Mail recovery. Install Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007 or 2010.

I have always understood that Microsoft recommends against installing Outlook on ANY Exchange server because both Outlook and exchange include MAPI.DLL files.  Although both  files are called MAPI.DLL, the files are quite different and incompatible.  Installing Outlook on an Exchange server will result in reduced functionality/stability in one or both products.

Reading through the BESR 2010 User's Guide, the built-in help files and checking the on-line documentation, I can't find any instructions indicating that Outlook should be installed on the Exchange computer.

What do I need to do to equip BESR 2010 on a Windows Small Business Server 2008 system to be able to restore individual Exchange mailboxes and messages?  Where are these instructions in the Symantec BESR 2010 documentation?  Is it really acceptable to install Outlook on an Exchange server?

I want to thoroughly evaluate BESR 2010 for my Windows SBS 2008 clients, but I really don't want to trash my live SBS 2008 Server (with Exchange) doing so.

Thanks!

14 Replies