Forum Discussion

14 years ago

BESR 2010 Startup CD hangs

I have been testing out several products on a spare server to see which bare metal restore products works the best - I am working off of a window 2003 sp2 base server with drivers for the Dell Adaptec raid card provided by MS - my past and current attempts wit IDR included with BU Exec (incl. 12.5) have not been successful resulting in errors on a base image. I have not had issues restoring various data folders with the backup products, but not with the need to restore a crashed server. I am now evaluating BESR 2010 and Acronis - I used the programs to create the restore CD's and completed the test with the Acronis backup, but with the BESR product I get past the point where the boot CD is installing files (in an environment that looks similar to the windows 2008 installation screens/colors) and then it simply stops at a screen which has 2 shades of grey. I have used the downloaded .iso file to create the CD iniitially and then used the internal program's steps to create another bootable CD and they both stop at the same point - this grey screen. The drivers were verified inside the BESR program. The image backup itself seems to have completed successfully. I have read in another post that the server drivers must be supported in windows 2008, but I would believe that if as the Adaptec Perc 3/Di Raid Card was already supported in a standard Win 2003 CD (w/o any service packs) that they would also be present in the Win 2008 CD. If anyone has any thoughts as to what might be the problem so I can complete the test with the BESR product I would appreciate it. Thank you.