Forum Discussion

lantran55
Level 3
10 years ago

changing backup settings to allow new hard drives

Our current setup:

Windows Small Business Server 2011 (which is actually Server 2008 R2)

Symantec System Recovery 2013

Logical drives are C:, D: and E:. We back these up on a weeknightly basis (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday). It also backs up the System Reserved drive. It is a recovery point set that run a complete backup each night to an external USB drive. Before the backup runs, we delete out the previous recovery backups from the week before. Ex: on a Tuesday night, we plug in the USB drive labeled "Tuesday". In Windows explorer, we delete out the backup files that are there from last Tuesday's backup. This leaves the hard drive blank, allowing that night's backup to run, which completely copies over the C:, D: and E: drives to the Tuesday USB hard drive (in the case of someone accidently leaving the previous week's backup files on the USB drive, the job creates a differential backup of the logical drives to the USB drive).

-We are using a recovery point set job description. Every day, the job shows up as scheduled with the destination drive labeled according to the day of the week: [Monday]\, [Tuesday]\, etc.

-Each hard drive has a recovery point set limit of 1.

-All the USB hard drives are identical.

The problem is that one of the hard drives has failed and we are replacing it with a different, higher capacity USB hard drive. Now the scheduled jobs do not run on that drive. When we run the scheduled backup job manually, it backups successfully to the new USB hard drive.

I do not have any error messages right now, unfortunately. 

What changes do I need to make to my scheduled backup job to allow it to backup to different models of hard drive? We are not using offsite backup features.

• It did. No problems. The job completes and I am able to eject the disk safely. Solved.

13 Replies