Forum Discussion

jtburnett
Level 4
11 years ago

Sectors / Source

I read the KB artickle on 4K drives. I'm using a 4K drive as my DESTINATION, but I'm trying to use the drive (pic attached) as a source. I'm guessing I can't? (since the 4K destination drive doesn't show up in any of the console lists, it list's this drive (pic) as the destination)

I'm guessing this is a 512E, yes? NOT supported as a source, right?

Thank you

• I called Western Digital; they said it say's "Not Supported", as the result after running the command, is because it's 512 Native. Only Advanced Format drives will show up in both fields correctly. All's good, I can use it as a source.

8 Replies

• I called Western Digital; they said it say's "Not Supported", as the result after running the command, is because it's 512 Native. Only Advanced Format drives will show up in both fields correctly. All's good, I can use it as a source.

• I'm missing something here. There should be no reason to have to know the model number, I wouldn't think. I don't know the model number.

The picture- 'capture' of the 1st post; the command prompt screenshot, say's it's 512 Bytes Per Sector, but 'Not Supported', as the Physical Bytes Per Sector. I'm just trying to understand if that means it's a 512E(mulated), which is not supported.

I'm really not trying to be difficult. This is for a home desktop, if that matters.

• It's a WD, My Book. I took a screen-shot of the disk info though. Very first post.

• Thank you, but I said in the very first sentence of my post that, "I read the KB artickle on 4K drives," because I did read that very same article about 4K drives.

The pic I attached in my first post? Is it:

A) Native 4096

B) Native 512

C) 512E

I'm guessing 512E, whuich would be unsupported as that article still says, but I don't know for sure.