Forum Discussion

CQ
Level 5
12 years ago

SSR 2013 and Hyper-V Error

Hi all,

We are a small shop running a server with Windows 2012 Standard with Hyper-V.  We have 4 hyper-V VMs running and we have SSR 2013 installed on the Windows 2012 host.  I have searched through these forums and have found that SSR 2013 is capable of backing up the Host with the VMs.  I have run backups on the Windows 2012  host several times and SSR always completes successfully and creates a recovery point.

I was looking in the event logs and find the following 2 errors for each VM that is on the host when SSR is run.

Error 1  "Requester reported unsuccessful backup for the virtual machine 'XXXXXXXX'. (Virtual machine ID 064918AE-59A8-4D4D-8D11-7A70D5CEC1AF)"     XXXXXX is the name of the virtual machine.

Event ID 10170        Source Hyper-V-VMMS 

Error 2  "The operation failed"

Event ID 16010        Source Hyper-V-VMMS

Given the errors above, is SSR 2013 performing proper backups with the VMs in a consistent state?   Can someone explain the significance of these errors?  I don't want to find out in the future that SSR was not properly backing up the host machine and its VMs. 

Thanks!!,

CQ

• I updated SSR 2013 to SP1 on our server and the Hyper-V failure errors in the logs have disappeared.  I will continue to monitor the logs for a while but it looks like SP1 corrects the issue.

11 Replies

• The error has vanished.  When I open Hyper-V Manager and observe the status of the Virtual Machines during backup I see Backing Up followed by succeeded as SSR completes.  I used to see failed.  I believe my particular issued has been resolved.