cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 - After migration, storage pools but no storage devices

ramadori
Level 3

Migrated our BE 2012 server using the steps in the article below.  We moved from a Win2K8 R2 Enterprise OS to Win2K8 R2 Standard OS for licensing reasons.  Everything seemed to migrate successfully except for the storage devices which are simply network drives/shares.  In the BE console on the new BE server, the storage pools, that were on the old BE server, are there and the properties of the storage pools show the related storage devices.  The problem is that the storage devices do not show up as individual devices on the storage tab of the BE console, so I cannot edit the properties or even use them with the migrated backup jobs.  I tried renaming the old BE server and taking it offline, then renaming the new BE server to the old BE server name, but I could not log into BE using the old or new name after that.  I put the new name back into place so now I'm back at square one again.  I thought about just configuring new storage devices with new names but I'm concerned about how that will affect my ability to restore existing backed up data that is on these drives.  Ideally, I would like to get some help on how I can get this migrated BE server to recognize the storage devices again.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH129826.html

Thank You,

RA

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I thought about just configuring new storage devices with new names but I'm concerned about how that will affect my ability to restore existing backed up data that is on these drives.

Ideally, recreating the storage devices should not affect the existing backup sets nor the ability to restore from them. Delete the storage device from BE and from the actual physical location, remove the changer.cfg and folder.cfg files to an alternate location. And now, try running the Storage Config wizard.

ramadori
Level 3

VJware, thanks for the advice. Oddly enough, I created a new storage device and put in the UNC path to the share, which was the same UNC path as one of the inaccessible storage devices.  Once it verified the UNC path, it gave me a message that the UNC path already existed with another storage device and it changed the name of the new storage device to the name of the existing one.  Once I clicked Save, the storage device showed up in the console and I could then look at the properties of it, make changes, etc.  This also worked with all the other storage devices that I was having trouble with.

RA

pootytang1
Level 2

Thanks for the follow-up, Ramadori,

Exactly what I was looking for. Ridiculous that this info still isn't in the Veritas KB regarding Media Server migrations! Eight years after your post!! WTH?

Pootie