Forum Discussion

sdcadmin
Level 5
13 years ago

Catalogs

I'm looking for data on a job that was run last month.  When I try to look at the tape that holds the information, BE tells me that I have to catalog the files on the media before I can use it to do a restore job.  Does BE automatically catalog when it runs a job?  Should I be manually cataloging files?

Thanks,

William

• Hi there,

You have a setting within BE itself that expires catalogs and it does this to save space. The default is 60 days unless shortened or lengthened by an admin.

If your tape needs to be catalogged, it means its data has expired from with BE. Right-click the tape, run the catalog job and let it finish. Once done, you can do the restore, but select the correct date range...for some reason BE likes picking its own date range.

Thanks!

7 Replies

• Hi there,

You have a setting within BE itself that expires catalogs and it does this to save space. The default is 60 days unless shortened or lengthened by an admin.

If your tape needs to be catalogged, it means its data has expired from with BE. Right-click the tape, run the catalog job and let it finish. Once done, you can do the restore, but select the correct date range...for some reason BE likes picking its own date range.

Thanks!

• While backing up data from a resource, BE creates a set of catalog files. These catalog files contain information about the contents on medias used for backup operations. Before you can restore or verify data, the media must have a catalog. To catalog a media select that and click on "Catalog Media" from Media tasks menu. Once the catalog operation is completed, you can proceed with Restore operation.

Regards....

• Is it necessary to inventory and then catalog media tapes before removing them from the tape library and storing them?

• No

The catalog is updated as the job proceses.  That's why you can still restore from a tape used in a "failed" job.  Anything backed up before the failure is still restoreable

You should always inventory (or scan) tapes when they are mounted in a stand-alone drive or added to a loader

• Ken,

We have our tapes on a 4 week rotation.  I just want to make sure I understand what you're indicating.  After writing data for a particular week and I remove the tapes, when that week comes again the following month I should inventory the tapes?

William

• If a tape volume is physically removed from either a stand-alone drive or a loader/library, when it is reloaded, you need to inventory or scan.  This is the only way to let BackupExec know that the volume is now present