Forum Discussion

19 years ago

Media Allocation

Help me understand......I noticed this morning that some of my tapes that I labeled with a description were in different media sets. So my question is, if a job needs a tape, and it can't find one in the Scratch Media, will it grab tapes that are available in other Media Sets? Since I don't move my media to different media sets, that is all I can come up with as to why my medai in now in different sets.

6 Replies

• Depending upon your media configuration and policies, ADAM will first try to get media from either scratch media or recyclable media in the job´s media set. If it is not able to locate any, it will try to find overwritable media in other media sets, and finally (if configured so) will abort or raise an alert.

The specific order in which BE will look for overwritable media varies upon your configuration settings.
  • Hi,

During a backup if Backup exec doesnt find the tape in the target media set it looks for sutiable tape depending upon the options set in the "Overwrite Protection level" section in "Tools" > "Options" > "Media Management".

Please refer to the follwoing technote

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for Backup Exec for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

and

An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

Hope it helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.
  • Can I not assign media to a media set without other media sets grabbing overwrittable media that is in that set? I have multiple admins that have their own media sets and I am constantly loosing my overwriteable media to other sets. I would think I could secure media to one set only.
  • You can set that under Tools->Options->Media Management -> Overwrite protection level.

Regards,
    Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.