Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Soft write errors

Hi Everybody

Just a quick question.....

I have a Certance LTO 2 tape drive which has been in use for 12 hours and has 31621 soft write errors, is my drive buggered?? The tapes i am using are not more than 12 months old and are used approx 4 times a month.

Thanks

2 Replies

• While it's certainly possible there's a problem with the drive or tapes, soft write errors don't necessarily point to a definite hardware issue. Unless you start seeing hardware write errors on the tapes I wouldn't worry about it, and when that happens the most likely initial cause is with the relevant tape being old and faulty. (at least it's a much easier and cheaper thing to replace and test that the whole drive)
  • Hi Keith

Reason for asking is the issue i'm having with backups. Basically when i run the backup, after about 4gb i get an error saying device not ready. The drive i'm using is a Certance CL400 connected to Veritas 9.1 on Windows 2003 R2. This has been running fine but basically i just can't do a backup onto tape anymore. The drivers i recently got from the Manufacturures site so i would like to t6hink they are correct!! The tapes are brand new and are the same as what i have been previously using. In the event viewer i get Error id 33152 and 57665, this is really frustrating, do you have any advise??

Simon