Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Help needed testing a procedure

I am running EV 7 FSA and Backup Exec 11d, i am having great dificulties restoring placeholders to different servers and then getting them to work

Has any one with the same setup acheived this or any one able to run some tests for me to see if i'm an isolated case or that Symantec have a BIG problem.

Thanks

richard

2 Replies

• Hi Richard, I have restored placeholders previously to the original server and they worked using backup exec not sure if it was version 11D though.  However they will not work even if restore correctly to another server with a diffeerent name/IP address etc due to the entries in SQL.  For this you need to restore to original server or server with same name IP address etc and then move using FSAUtil.  However if restore incorrectly they will not work full stop as it sounds as if you are discovering. 

I have mentioned on another post of yours the FSAUtil to recreate the placeholders may be worth checking out. 

In general it sounds as if you are having alot of bad luck with this and I would suggest perhaps escalating it though your account manager or through the duty manager at Symantec. 
  • Genie

quick one, when using the FSAUtility to move the placeholders, do you need the placeholders in place? because if you remember the server died and all i've got is the backup of the placeholders which dont work.

Regards