Forum Discussion

Jens_R
Level 3
10 years ago

different number of archived items in Vault cache and online

dear community,

on some clients I observe a strange behavior regarding manual archiving via Vault Cache. I'm activated for autoarchiving after 90 days or 70% mailbox quota, but in most cases I (as well as other users) prefer manual archiving by Drag&Drop items from Exchange Mailbox to Vault cache and sync manually or wait for daily auto sync. After a while I see gap between number of items in the Vault Cache and the number of items online.

number of items in Vault Cache:

support_ 20141024_073919.gif

number of items online (Archive Explorer)

support_ 20141024_073858.gif

Has somebody an idea what cause this issue? Synchronization works without any error message. In case of a "Full Reset" of the Vault Cache I expect data lost cause not everything is archived/uploaded.

Thanks for any help in advance!

/Jens

• Ok so I guess first question is where are you getting the numbers from? My money is still on preemptive archiving but honestly if I had to try and prove it Id script a method to count the folders and items in the MDC vs the total number of items in the Arab files vs the number of items in the Saveset table one other narrow case would be items deleted that are recoverable in the EV dumpster, but that would show in the overall items count but not in VV etc

4 Replies

• In older versions of EV there was a bug where EV would download items more than once so you'd end up with duplicate items being downloaded to the cache But the most likely cause is preemptive archiving where It will trawl the mailbox looking for items that will archive in X number of days so that when it does get archived it doesn't have to download it from the server
  • Hi Jesus,

first of all thanks for the fast response.

I run EV 10.0.4 on Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7 (something I forgot to metion...)

Preemptive caching / archiving was my first idea too, but I'm bit in doubt cause I have 20 very small  items in mail mailbox (quota of maybe 10%) but a gap of close to 400 items between VC and online archive.

Another customer observed a similar behavior in a dedicated VC folder, he dragged and dropped 12 items to a particular VC folder but they didn't show up in the online archive after sync and indexing, he has a gap of 12 items (VC vs. Online) since days. Caused on this I checked the number of my VC and the Online archive and observed the same or a similar behavior cause I can't find real gaps... (can't check all folders in my archive).

/Jens

• Ok so I guess first question is where are you getting the numbers from? My money is still on preemptive archiving but honestly if I had to try and prove it Id script a method to count the folders and items in the MDC vs the total number of items in the Arab files vs the number of items in the Saveset table one other narrow case would be items deleted that are recoverable in the EV dumpster, but that would show in the overall items count but not in VV etc
  • Depending how many folders you have you could use something like the below to return the folders and item counts from the DB, compare against your VC.

USE 'Vault Store DB'
    SELECT
        ArchiveFolderView.FolderName,
        ArchiveFolderView.FolderPath,
        Vault.VaultID,
        Vault.ArchivedItems 'Items',
        Vault.ArchivedItemsSize 'Size (KB)'
    FROM ArchivePoint
    INNER JOIN Vault on Vault.ArchivePointIdentity = ArchivePoint.ArchivePointIdentity
    INNER JOIN EnterpriseVaultDirectory.dbo.ArchiveFolderView on ArchiveFolderView.VaultEntryId = Vault.VaultID
    WHERE ArchivePoint.ArchivePointId = 'Archive ID'

FYI, I have this disparity too and came to the conslusion it was a combination of pre-emptive archiving, dumpsters, attachments and maybe ineligible items.
    We also allow full access to archives (I wont enable this again if I can help it) and some colleagues are constantly re-arranged, re-filing, duplicating, deleting etc.., this must be a factor. 
    I'm sure that having 'share within group' enabled at the Vault Store level causes some odd figures to be reported at the archive level. Unable to verify as all my systems have this setting.