Forum Discussion

rraja
Level 4
14 years ago

How to avoid the schedule while creating a new policy.?

Hi, 

How to avoid the schedule while creating a policy. Ex. As soon as I create a new policy by bppolicynew / GUI by copying the existing policy, the new backup policy gets triggered. Is there any way(like deactivate the new policy when creating new policy / copying existing policy) to avoid such cause since we have to modify some attributes in the new one.

• Guess you're running CLI to creating the policy instead of what we normally do, create in the GUI which gives you more flexibility to disable the schedule, but you can always clear the backup window to disable the backup from running by bpplsched. 

For me, everytime I create a policy via GUI (not using wizard), I will define the attributes, client and backup selection in sequence, then only define schedule last so I can control when it starts.

Plenty of alternatives as specified by others.

3 Replies

• You can also click Clear in the Start Window tab to delete all automatic windows.

I have never seen backups kicking off 'as soon as' I've copied a policy - nbpem only checks for changes every 10 minutes.

Another way would be to temporarily suspend the scheduler. This will not affect running backups.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56477

• when you right click a policy and say copy to new, you then type in the new name and then it opens the new policy with all the tabs.

It is not a policy until you say ok..

So BEFORE you say ok UN-CHECK the "Go into effect at:"  box.  This makes it a deactivated policy.  then say OK or just change all your stuff before you say OK the first time.

• Guess you're running CLI to creating the policy instead of what we normally do, create in the GUI which gives you more flexibility to disable the schedule, but you can always clear the backup window to disable the backup from running by bpplsched. 

For me, everytime I create a policy via GUI (not using wizard), I will define the attributes, client and backup selection in sequence, then only define schedule last so I can control when it starts.

Plenty of alternatives as specified by others.