Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Media ID mismatch -

I have been asked to restore data from some tapes from 8+ years ago.
 - Long before I was at this company.

The tapes, I'm told, are from Netbackup - but they do not have bar code labels on them.  They are labeled things like 'January 2007 Full Backup 1 of 2' (in sharpie)

When I attempt to import these tapes, Netbackup assigns them a media id - A0000.  But this new media ID does not match the media ID recorded on the tape - so I get an error 176 when I try to import them.

Is there a way to figure out what the media id of these tapes are so I can create a bar code label?  That might be the easiest.

Or is there another way I can import these tapes that doesn't involve matching the bar code to the media ID?

Thanks in advance. 

3 Replies

• You will need to delete media id A00000 and then run a 'physical' inventory on the slot in the robot where this tape is. Please lookup command usage for vmphyinv. See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000044809
  • what happens if I don't delete A00000 before running vmphyinv? 

Before I saw your answer, I found vmphyinv and ran it (against the media id with -rn instead of the slot number) - the initial import, phase 1 seems to be going fine - but it takes a long time. 

• If you don't delete A00000 then it will still exist in NBU media database and create uneccesary confusion.

Import is a lengthy process. 
    Phase 2 will even take longer.