Forum Discussion

Amaan
Level 6
13 years ago

Media server is offline for tape

We are seeing intermittently this kind of notifications as: REQUIRED MEDIA SERVER IS OFFLINE FOR TAPE. Sometimes this happens for one server aND another time with another server. What can be reason for this? What logs should i check to find the root cause of the issue?

Sorry for too many questions. :)

NBU: 7.0.1

Master OS: Win 2008

Thanks!

• Hi This can also be caused by timeouts on busy systems You can increase the Media server connection timeout on the Master server host properties and also add the proxy receive timeout file as I mentioned in this post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/volumes-marked-and-down-san Just translate the path from Unix to windows - it is valid on both The keep alive settings can also be set but in windows are done by registry settings under HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/tcpip/parameters Google it for the MS KB article about these settings - don't have access to give you the link at the moment Hope this helps

6 Replies

• If the media server is going offline that means communication between the media server and the EMM server was not working.  You would need to look at the EMM log to see what is causing the issue.

• Do I have to check nbemm log or something different. And actually I am not good on looking into unified logs. What does it usually show if there is issue. In legacy log it will put <16> or 8.
  • Use vxlogview to view/read unified logs. Look in the output for the time that the error was seen. Keywords to look for is fail, error, problem...

• Hi This can also be caused by timeouts on busy systems You can increase the Media server connection timeout on the Master server host properties and also add the proxy receive timeout file as I mentioned in this post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/volumes-marked-and-down-san Just translate the path from Unix to windows - it is valid on both The keep alive settings can also be set but in windows are done by registry settings under HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/tcpip/parameters Google it for the MS KB article about these settings - don't have access to give you the link at the moment Hope this helps
  • Actual root cause of the issue was connection as mentioned above. Server had two IP addresses which was making trouble for connection. directed backup through one NIC. issue resolved.