Forum Discussion

Willie_SA
Level 6
12 years ago

NBU 7.1 mail notification stopped working for 'foreign' mail addresses

Master server -  7.1

UNIX - solaris 10

Normal mail notification setup for catalog backup and job failure setup and been working for months.

Since 2 weeks ago it does not reach any 'foreign' mail addresses. By 'foreign' mail addresses I mean - if company name is ABC all the mail notifications for xxxx@ABC.co.za works BUT any other mail address just disapears. We even tried xxxx.gmail.com. We checked mailmarshal and it does not even reach that box/server.

Bounced NetBackup.

Bounced NetBackup Master server.

The notifications from the OpsCenter works 100% for all mail addresses.OpsCenter runs on a diffirent server.

As per normal no chenges were made.

How can I trace/investigate these mails?

4 Replies

• It's not going to be NetBackup.

What happens if you run mailx

mailx -s "Test mail" <email address> </etc/hosts

If this fails, nothing to do with NBU, troubleshoot it from the operating system (sendmail).

Start by looking in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Martin

• I agree that it is not NetBackup - otherwise we would not have seen any mail notifications.

I did mailx test and get the same result - after enter return to prompt with no warning oir error and:

local mail goes through and send / receive mail.

foreign mail just disapear into thin air.

• This is clearly a problem with the mail server settings.

When you configure sendmail locally, you have 2 alternatives:

1) the local server dispatches mail directly to the recipient.

2) the local server sends mail to a "smart host", who dispatches mail to the recipient.

In the first case, you shoul check your local configuration: this link is a starting point:

http://www.sendmail.com/sm/open_source/docs/m4/anti_spam.html

In the second case talk to the mail server admin and ask why netbackup mails to strangers are rejected.

Hope this helps.

• Martin asked if you checked the logs - anything there?

If you don't have access to logs, try the mailx tests again but add the "-v" command line switch and see if that gives you any clues.