Forum Discussion

17 years ago

Upgrade and consolidate from 5.0 to 6.5 - Help !!

Hi,
Here's my current set-up:

2 x Netbackup v5.0 Master/Media servers - each backing up themselves and a number of clients. we have two major data centres and I have one NBU server at each.

I have some business and technical drivers now to move to latest version of NBU, but also to create a more 'sensible' environment ( the media managemennt is messy with the current set-up, as media is moved off-site form each primary site to the mirror site, and I have concerns about media cross-contamination between the two environments)

Here's where I want to get to:

1 x Netbackup 6.5 Master/media server + 1 additional Netbackup 6.5 media server at 2nd site

I also have some concerns about the stability of the underlying O/S of one of the servers, so would like to do a clean build rather than an upgrade if possible.

So here's my stumbling blocks:

1) I can do a clean build of NBU6.5 no problem, but cannot import my NB5.0 Catalogs due to the catalog format change - is there a standalone method to do the conversion, or will I have to upgrade then rebuild?

2) Is it possible to combine my existing 2 catalogs into 1 and bring all my media into one management environment? - I'm not too concerned about being able to retain all my policies and settings etc , I can manually recreate these if necessary, but obviously would like to retain my existing media catalogs.

Message Edited by Will Valintine on 06-16-2008 05:36 AM

4 Replies

• Have you got anywhere with this? I think I may be able to help but there is too much to list here.
    let me know if you need more help - I think you can leave me a message here and I will get back with you.

• 1. You have to upgrade then create a hot catalogue backup. 2. I don't think so, you would need to import the tapes. MArtin
  • I think you can merge information - I think you can use the command line bpmedia.  You can look it up in help.  if you don't understand it just let me know. good luck.
  • Thanks for the info Guys, I'll certainly have a look at BPmedia.

I'll be setting up a test environment to run through the whole process in a few weeks (I've decided not to rework the backups before I take my annual Vacation!), so I'll let you know how it goes on.

cheers,

WIll