Forum Discussion

ShellUK
Level 3
15 years ago

Backup Exec Update Problems

I was going to contact Symantec directly for support via MySupport.Symantec.com except I can not get any Technical Contact Id or Support Number out of the licensing site to do it. So here goes..

I've gone through all the articles I can find that relate to all this, tried all sorts, and am just not getting any where.

Details:
- Windows Server 2008 SP2
- Backup Exec 12.5

Problem discovered when the Backup Exec Update scheduled event ran every Sunday and Monday morning Backup Exec was stopped along with SQL services. Even if you run LiveUpdate manually, it fails and does not restart any of the Backup Exec or SQL services it has stopped.

The following is the log from when you manually run an update:

The following Symantec products and components are installed on your computer.
> Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers

Initializing...
Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...

Downloading catalog file (1 of 1), complete.
Opening update list
The digital signature found on the catalog file has been signed by Symantec Corporation.
Processing update list
Opening update list
Processing update list

The following updates have been found:
> Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers,  18659.6 KB
Total Download 18659.6 KB

Downloading Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers (1 of 3), complete.
Downloading Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers (2 of 3), complete.
Downloading Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers (3 of 3), complete.

Installing Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers (1 of 3), failed.
LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran.  This update was not applied.
Installing Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers (2 of 3), failed.
LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran.  This update was not applied.
Installing Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 12.5 for Windows Servers (3 of 3), failed.

Installation failed, error summary...
LU1806: LiveUpdate downloaded all of the updates you requested, but all of them failed to install.  Please try to get the updates at a later time.

LiveUpdate session is complete.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks
Michelle

• I have resolved this.

What did not work:
    - Updating to live update 3.5 (uninstalled previous and installed this)
    - UAC was already off, right click and run as administrator didn't help
    - Removing the files as stated by AmolZeroCool

What did work!
    - Downloading service pack 3 for 12.5 manually and installing it.
    - Then run LiveUpdate, it installs the updates it was trying to do before with no issues

Why couldn't BackupExec get SP3 its self or state it was needed? enlightened

Thanks,
    Michelle

8 Replies

• Please try to uninstall and install the live update and reboot the server. Try it again after rebooting

• Sorry I don't know how, I completely missed the uninstall and install live update bit and just read "try it again after rebooting". Apologies!

What's the best way of reinstalling Live Update? An option in the Backup Exec installer or is there a download?

Thanks,
    Michelle
  • 1) Right click on BE icon and select "Run As", Use the lcoal admin account to launch the BE console and then run Live Update.

2) Move all the files from the liveupdate folder wth the name as --> 1.setting.liveupdate, 2.setting.liveupdate to some other location, the liveupdate folder is at c:\program data\all users\application data\symantec\liveupdate

• You can also uninstall the live update from add remove program and download the live update from the internet.
  • I'm pretty sure I've tried AmolZeroCool's idea already - will do again to make sure.

I have defientley tried
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/317912 and this did not help.

Not sure if I have tried Rohit's ideas 1/2 (tried so much it is a blur ;)). Will do though.

If I reinstall LIveUpdate, where do I download it from exactly?

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Michelle

• I have resolved this.

What did not work:
    - Updating to live update 3.5 (uninstalled previous and installed this)
    - UAC was already off, right click and run as administrator didn't help
    - Removing the files as stated by AmolZeroCool

What did work!
    - Downloading service pack 3 for 12.5 manually and installing it.
    - Then run LiveUpdate, it installs the updates it was trying to do before with no issues

Why couldn't BackupExec get SP3 its self or state it was needed? enlightened

Thanks,
    Michelle