Forum Discussion

kll1962
Level 3
13 years ago

BackupExec in Symantec Veritas Cluster installation

Hi All

Hope that someone can help me I am working in big airports with Symantec Veritas Cluster installations.

I have before used Acronis for backup but found out that it cannot work in a cluster enviroment (where I have

One running server and one standby server in Veritas Cluster)

Symantec has pointed me in direction of Symantec BackupExec 2012 and it looks good BUT !!!

Tha admin guide only describes BackupExec in MS Custer dose that mean that it can only work

in an MS Cluster enviroment ?

I have tryed to install a storage on my SAN on one of my BackupExec Servers but it reports that it

is a local disk ! Can I work arround that ?

Are the backup that BackupExec 2012 dose of C-Drive an image backup and can be used as a normal recovery backup ?

Like BackupExec System Recovery did ?

Hope someone can help me getting the product to work or have a surgestion ablut what to use for back. !

I need a product that in case of a failure in my server room A everything will keep running in server room B

Meaning that my backups will be available in server room B and backup/restore is possible form ether room.

br/Kim

8 Replies

• Hi Kim,

Looks like Symantec support is wrong in this regard. Check the EOL items listed below, where Symantec Veritas Cluster is listed:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178552

If you get it installed, it still won't work. It therefore looks like you might have to investigate Netbackup, in which case head on over to those forums. I suspect that because VCS is enterprise-class software, that NBU is going to support it.

BE 2010 R3 appears to have been the last version of BE to support VCS.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/forums/netbackup

Thanks!

• I am not going to talk anything about installing BE in veritas cluster as i do not have any idea about it.

I have tryed to install a storage on my SAN on one of my BackupExec Servers but it reports that it

is a local disk ! Can I work arround that ?

You mean to say, you have a LUN in SAN storage and want to use it as a disk storage with BE. 

I do not know which storage you are using. So, i will put it in general perspective. For two clustered nodes to see the same SAN attached LUN, you have to add both the cluster nodes to the Storage Group/Host Group in SAN array. And the LUN will be reported as local disk to both the servers and locking mechanism of cluster software should keep the LUN safe from any data corruption due to the accessibility from both the servers.

Are the backup that BackupExec 2012 dose of C-Drive an image backup and can be used as a normal recovery backup ?

Backup Exec is a solution with it's prime focus on Backups and Restores. Intelligent Disaster Recovery option in BE helps in recovering the complete system. But If you are looking at a solution that can do baremetal restores, look st Symantec System Recovery which is specifically developed for it.

Edit: .....Craig answered the main concern yes.

• Hi Craig

Thanks 4 your reply.

I have done BESR and found that is cant co exist with VCS and also it can be used in a cluster setup at all.

Regarding the LUN yes I am using a SAN and have made a LUN and the cluster servers are sharing this storage (of curse only on server access at a time)

But in BE2012 under storage when pointing to a share made on that volume (LUN) it dose one of 2 things ether it taks about 10 min and comes back with a timeout and says that it can use this storage or it emidiatly says that this looks to be a local disks and cant be used as a network storage.

I will try to install again but with SQL in Cluster and test hope if you have more about thius let me hear.

Again thanks for your reply.

br/Kim

• Kim: BE does NOT support VCS...so even if you get it installed, it's either not going to work at all, or work very sporadically. Don't go down the road of trying to make it fit. Either use BESR or NBU if either support it. BESR won't backup to tape, so consider that!

• Hi There

Thanks for the reply, and I think you are right but will shortly try with the SQL installed on SAN storage.

Then again try to install BE2012 and see how i reacts.

I have been told by Symantec that Netbackup also is not the right product.

I simply dose not understand that I cant find a product that I can install in 2 server rooms and manage one client from both servers (not at the same time I understand that there will ba a failover procedure ex. the database) and this product must be able to make image backup (IDR) and be able to help with the restore meaning that the storage where the backup is residing must be available from ether of the server depending on which is "active".

Maybe it is me that expects to much I know for sure that Acronis is not able to do this becuse the client software is binded to the machine wherefrom it was installed meaning that this client cant be managed from an other Acronis server unles the client again is uninstalled and installed from the other Acronis server, and now the existing backups are not useable from the GUI.

Again for me hard to understand that backup/restore dose not have a failover function in case the backup/restore manager failes.

br/Kim

• Thanks for the reply

I know 4 sure that BESR is not the way is simply dose not work with the managers.

Yes NBU can be the solution but I cant seem to download a trail version and we are not goeing to in a project of the size to invest in this before we have tryed it.

Have you any knowlage if I can download a trail I cant find it.

br/Kim

• You would need a serial number for downloading NBU trial version.

You can downoad it from fileconnect.symantec.com, if you have the serail number. Contact any reseller and find out if they can get you a serial number.