Forum Discussion

Allen_John
Level 4
11 years ago

Can we backup SAP on SUSE ?

agent for SAP available for SUSE ?

if not. can we backup SAP via flat file backup ?

• No.  BE 2012 does not support SAP backup on any platform.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

No.  You cannot backup the underlying SAP databases as flat files because they are automatically excluded by AFE.  You also should not be backing up the underlying Oracle databases using the Oracle agent.  See my blog below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/can-i-backup-sap-database-sql-or-oracle-agent

If you need to backup SAP, take a look at NetBackup.

20 Replies

• No.  There is no lock.  There is nothing to prevent you from backing up the underlying databases, but what good would the backup be if you cannot get a logical consistent SAP application after you have done a restore?

• pkh answer is correct - you can backup the underlying database via the Oracle agent (there is no lock).

As per pkh blog, the question is: does your SAP installation have multiple Oracle databases or is it just one.

If it is just one database then a backup and recovery via the Oracle agent will bring the Oracle part of the SAP installation back. Still some additional steps might be required from the SAP site to have the SAP installation post recovery working again.

• .... then whatever I say in my blog applies
  • See the below it may help

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189650

• I have one suspicion. Does Symantec officially support this document ?

www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189650

• ...really? That's an official Symantec document so Symantec officially support it...wink

• Yes you are right. Actually I want to listen your words from Symantec Emp :)

• 1. It is an official Symantec document...

2. It was written by an official Symantec tech...

3. I suspect you can trust that Symantec support this document...

4. If you don't believe it, log a call with them and they will confirm they do support it...

5. If they didn't support it, this document wouldn't exist.

Please rather ask questions like this directly of Symantec by logging a call if you don't want to follow the advice in their official document.

Thanks!