Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Cannot terminate beremote.exe service

Greetings, I have been working on some recent issues we have had with our backup solution and sometimes I really need to restart the Backup Exec Services.  For as long as I can remember, there are times when the beremote.exe service simply will not stop at all and we have profusely tried any and all command line stuff to try to terminate the process.  Are there any tricks to killing that process outside of a total reboot of the server?  Again, we've tried pskill, taskkill, task manager (obviously), services (obviously) and nothing will completely stop the beremote.exe process.

• Hi Brandon,

That seems to have carried through in a number of versions of BE. A service hangs when you're trying to restart/stop it, and it can't get stopped. Normally this was put down to the service executable trying to finish something.

I'd stop your AV scans and try a test run of the service restarts. See what that does, and consider patching the media server with any available updates.

Thanks!

14 Replies

• The only way to help is to call Symantec if you have this issue.
    They can gather logs and maybe other information about the environment to further investigate the issue.

• Hello,

I got the exact same issue on SBS 2008 and Backup Exec 2010 R2 (rev2896)

The solution proposed is not acceptable as we need to restart the server to install hotfix., It has to be solved.

Thanks

• ...you can "fool" BE into thinking the server has been restarted. Open your registry and export it. Then navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Symantec, and delete the registry key PatchReboot.

It allows you to restart your server at your next best opportunity.