Forum Discussion

steven_man
Level 5
13 years ago

Disk space issue on Local Disk Storage in Backup Exec 2012

I manually deleted backup set in local storage device through using Backup Exec 2012, not delete backup folder in Windows Explorer.  After deletion of backup set, I find the local storage device does not free up any disk space.

Do anyone know how to solve this issue?

Relate to DB issue?

6 Replies

• If you are using Disk Storage, it is managed by DLM.  When you delete a backup set and there are unexpired dependent backup sets, then it would not be physically deleted.  For example, you delete a full backup and there are still unexpired incremental backups based on this full backup, then the full backup would not be deleted.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

• Kindly provide the following information to help us understand the problem .

Just want to know ,

1. You are deleting backup set from storage tab of Backup exec 2012 ?
    2. If yes was it successful ?

If would be great if you could upload a snapshot where you see space was not reclaimed .

• I deleted some backup set from storage tab of Backup Exec 2012 and some from Backup/Restore tab.

All deletion can be done successfully.

What is the snapshot?

• I deleted all backup set for full backup and incremental backup. No backup set exists. But I cannot free up all disk space.

• Hello,

I am attaching a document which will help you with deleting backup sets and reclaiming the disk space.

This is a step by step guide on this topic.

Hope this solves the problem .

Regards,

AmitD