Forum Discussion

Joseph_Lai
Level 4
12 years ago

DR for CAS and MBE servers

I'm working some test cases for DR of a pair of BE3600 appliances. One is setup as Central Admin Server and the other is Managed Backup Exec server. They each have a dedup storage and shared with the other server.

Anyone knows what are the proper procedures for doing DR in a CASO environment?

1) If CAS is down, I found that Backup Exec services won't even start on MBE !? I tried to follow the steps in a KB(TECH202149) which runs the setup wizard to change the MBE to a "Locally managed server" but that won't work (after reboot all BE services still not able to start). So what I need to do to get MBE running without a CAS? (is it possible?)

2) If MBE is down, how to remove it from CAS while the MBE is unreachable? When it is back, do I simply re-configure it as a new MBE to the CAS?

Thanks.

Joseph

• Hi Joseph,

1. Correct...if the catalogs and data are located on the CASO, then when it is down, no backups will run on the MMS. I used to run into this situation regularily when I was an engineer, and used the steps below to manually demote the MMS to a stand-alone server:

* Regedit.exe (backup the registry before making any changes) -->

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Symantec --> Backup Exec

* Look for a key called Database Server. Replace the name of your CASO with the name of your MMS and restart the BE services.

2. If the MMS is down, I'd simply leave things as-is in the CASO. No need to reconfigure anything when the MMS comes back up again.

Thanks!

3 Replies

• Hi Joseph,

1. Correct...if the catalogs and data are located on the CASO, then when it is down, no backups will run on the MMS. I used to run into this situation regularily when I was an engineer, and used the steps below to manually demote the MMS to a stand-alone server:

* Regedit.exe (backup the registry before making any changes) -->

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Symantec --> Backup Exec

* Look for a key called Database Server. Replace the name of your CASO with the name of your MMS and restart the BE services.

2. If the MMS is down, I'd simply leave things as-is in the CASO. No need to reconfigure anything when the MMS comes back up again.

Thanks!

• Thanks CraigV for the quick reply. I've tried the regedit and it seems to work. So when the CAS is back again, should I simply reverse the change on MMS registry? Or need to re-configured as MMS?

• Hi Joseph,

Don't reverse anything...add the MMS back to the CASO properly.

Thanks!