Forum Discussion

ltjimster
Level 6
13 years ago

Excluding files not working

Hello,

I've setup on my backup system to exclude certain files Via Manage Selections\Excludes and its been working fine but all of a sudden its stopped working.

I've tried closing Backup Exec completely (12.5 version if you need to know), stopping all the services and restarting them but its still showing on the test run as backing everything up and i need it to work properly please.

HELP!!!!

Thanks

James

• Right scrap what i've just done above instead of making a new backup selection, so i went back to how your supposed to do in the "manage selection\excludes" selection and  i normally setup in the excludes list as followed;

Path: \\servername\D:\

File: *.*avi; *.*mp3; *.*jpg ........ etc, several files at once.

and i've had to do 1 file at a time now which is stupid really and was time consuming to do because i have a lot of jobs :(, Example of what I've had to do now;

First Entry;

File: *.*avi

Second Entry

File: *.*mp3

Can Symantec Find out why in the BLUE HELL it's done that??

Thanks

James

26 Replies

• Granted it was only created last Nov, but according to

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174271

How to use the Include / Exclude selection option  

When specifying file types only use one file type per selection include rule.

Apparently you had slipped through a crack before, and it finally caught up to you

{shrug}

• Well i've not hacked anything if thats what you mean.

Maybe it should be an update because it seems stupid to do 1 file type at a time.

Oh well......... thank you for letting me know

James

• Well i've not hacked anything if thats what you mean.

Not at all.  I merely meant that you were doing something not explicitly supported, that DID work for some versions, but no longer does

You can go to the Idea section at https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-archiving/ideas and add this as a suggestion for future releases.  If it gets enough "thumbs up" it may be included in a SP or future release

You may want to word it something like 

Provide support for entering multiple file types on one EXCLUDES line, separated by ";"    

for example

• Any recent hotfixes applied in the last few weeks?

If so uninstall them and see if it is fixed