Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Job Status remains in Queued state.

I am using BExec 2010 R3 Rev 5204 with a PowerVault 124T tape device connected via SAS. My current issue is that backup jobs job status goes into a "queued" state indefinitely. (No other jobs are running).

Interestingly, catalog jobs instead fail with an error of "Unable to acquire device for the specified pool and media". Sometimes a catalog job will also error with "Error - Mount failed Physical Volume Library Drive not found."

Device Manager shows:

1. "Tape Drive" > IBM Ultrium

2. "Medium Changer Devices" > Dell Powervault 124T Autoloader

Ideas are all appreciated!

• In BE console do you see any unattended alerts? 

Do you see any hardware related errors in the Window Event Viewr?

Make sure you have installed Symantec drivers for the tape drive and Microsoft drivers for the 

medium changer.

• Hi,    

Install the Microsoft Driver in the Medium Changer so that it shows as Unknown Medium Changer. 

5 Replies

• In BE console do you see any unattended alerts? 

Do you see any hardware related errors in the Window Event Viewr?

Make sure you have installed Symantec drivers for the tape drive and Microsoft drivers for the 

medium changer.

• Hi,    

Install the Microsoft Driver in the Medium Changer so that it shows as Unknown Medium Changer. 

• I did see only 2 hardware errors in Windows logs > System of: event id 7 source halfinchVRTS. (The device, \Device\Tape0 has a bad block.

I dont see any hardware errors under Event Viewer > Applications and Services > Hardware Events.

There were no alerts awaiting response.   I did install the Windows driver for medium changer so it now says "Unknown medium changer".  Then, when I launch BExec, menu item of  Devices > Dell > IBM   states that it is offline. I put it online. When I put the device 'online' last time, it said "In use" for about 5-10 minutes.

Now it says 'in use' but won't get out of the 'in use' state.

• You can try a power cycle:

1. Power Off the Server completely 
    2. Power off the Tape Drive then 
    3. Power on the Tape Drive  wait till it is at a 'Ready' State then
    4. Power on the Server

but the hardware errors make it seem like the drive might need replacing.  You should run the manufacter's diagnostic utility.