Forum Discussion

Cupis
Level 4
9 years ago

Large Catalog Cleanup

Hi Good Folk, I am sure this is the umpteenth time that someone has posted this, but I wanted to confirm some things before I went to town on my Catalog Folders. If I turn on Truncate Catalo...
    9 years ago

The more you log in your job log, the larger the catalogs, so start by checking what option you selected there.

You can also look at moving the Catalogs folder to another drive, but if it was my decision I'd simply remove the old catalog files, free up space, and then run a Catalog job on a tape you want to restore from in future.

Thanks!

9 years ago

Before you start moving your Catalog directory or deleting old catalog entries, you should check which files are the big files that are filling up the directory.  There may be a problem which is causing the Catalog directory to fill up.  If you just move the Catalog directory without solving this problem, the new disk will be filled up again.

You should also plan on upgrading.  BE 2010 has already reached the end of engineering life, i.e. no more patches.

9 years ago

Be very careful -  DLM activity against disk sets is directly linked to catalogs files.

Delete the wrong thing manually and we wil probably stop reclaiming backup sets and you wil move you disk space issue to the backup target instead of the catalog location. 

Bascially manually deleting content of the cataligs folder without guidance from support may put you into a condition where we cannot support issues wih DLM reclaims in your environment.