Forum Discussion

no_name1
Level 5
13 years ago

Media Server is laways on discovering devices after the restart of BE

can someone help me regarding the issue i currently encountered on BE 2010 R2? Media Server is always on discovering the devices (Tape drive) after the restart of BE services and I can't run the backup now after that.

Need some advice on what to do to resolve this issue.

Thank you.

• This issue has been resolved. Symantec Support Engr. assisted me to resolved the issue. We just repaired the Backup Exec application and reboot the media server and that's it its working already.

9 Replies

• Go to the BE installation directory and use tapinst.exe to delete any tape drive entries.  Power off the tape and restart the BE services.  If the BE services restarted o.k., then 

1) update the firmware to the tape library/drive to the latest.

2) use tapeinst to install the tape library/drive

3) power off the media server and the tape library/drive

4) power up the tape library/drive

5) power up the media server

6) check that the tape library/drive are functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager.  The tape library should be shown as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drives should have Symantec drivers.

7) try again.

BTW, I noticed that you have 2 tape drives in your library.  You should need an additional LEO licence to operate your second tape.  Also, post the make and model of your tape library and tape drives and the interface card.
  • I attached a screenshot regarding the problem i have right now. Any advise will greatly appreciated.

• Thanks pkh will try this procedure and give you an update later

• 2 tape drives is working just fine i don't think license could be the issue. I encountered this problem after we restart the BE services because we can't canceled the job so we try to restart BE services but it also stuck so we decide to reboot the server. After the media server was rebooted, BE services is running but when I checked on the devices tab, it's on discovering state and I can't run any jobs because of this.

I also attached the model.

• Even if both your tape drives work, you would still be in violation of licencing terms if you use a second tape drive without another LEO licence.

• Two tape drives are working fine so I don't think the license could be the issue. The issue started to happen after I restarted the services on BE because we have to cancel the job but it always on pending status, so we decide to restart the BE services, but it also stuck and can't start the BE services, so we reboot the server. After the reboot, Be services is running already but when I checked on device tab the media server is in discovering state, and we can't run a backup because of this.

I attached the library model.

• Hi pkh,

I attached the library model and interface card.

• This issue has been resolved. Symantec Support Engr. assisted me to resolved the issue. We just repaired the Backup Exec application and reboot the media server and that's it its working already.