Forum Discussion

jcprieto
Level 4
10 years ago

Prevent scheduled jobs to run at start the services manually

hi

After the fall of backup exec service to start this service manually, scheduled jobs begin, I would like to know if it is possible to disable this method because some of the jobs involve scheduled stop applications.

for example

There is a scheduled backup job at 20:00 one or more of the backup service is stopped and obviously the job is not running

If you start this service manually at 23:00 this job runs however we would like to avoid this behavior is that possible? Does anybody know how?

Thank you

• Start all of the Backup Exec services EXCEPT for the Backup Exec Job Engine Service.

Then open the BE console which should run (in all the newer BE versions, may not work in some older ones)

You will then be able to put either the job queue or individual jobs on hold before starting the Job Engine Service.

9 Replies

• ...only way around this is to disable the job and manually start it.

Thanks!

• The other way is change the option above the one circled in red to a very short time so that it would be rescheduled.

BE 2012 - cancel job within 1 hour.png

• The option that you refer to seems to stop a Job in execution

I really want is a job can not run whose time has been exceeded

• But to disable the job is necessary to go into administration console and thus have the services, and to start the services starts the job

• No. This option is exactly what you want. When a job is executing, this option has no effect
  • Start all of the Backup Exec services EXCEPT for the Backup Exec Job Engine Service.

Then open the BE console which should run (in all the newer BE versions, may not work in some older ones)

You will then be able to put either the job queue or individual jobs on hold before starting the Job Engine Service.

• Pkh's method is correct, you have to read carefully...he means the option ABOVE the one circled in red. Making this value very small will mean that the job will be rescheduled quicker meaning it will not run when you start the services again.

So for example your job is scheduled for 9:00am and this option is set 1 hour. If you start the service at 10:05am then this job will NOT run and be rescheduled. With the original settings the job will just start.

The post marked as a solution is correct to but you have to understand this one as well since holding a job or entire job queue is more work and slower.

• Hmm I have to say when I wrote my last answer I thought I had actually managed to start the BE console without the Job Engine running. However I may have remembered something that was possible in an older version of BE and is no longer possible, as I just tested it in BE 2014 and whilst it lets you stop the Job Engine and carry on using the Console without any pop-ups if the console is already started, it does not seem to let you start the console from closed with the job engine stopped.

Sorry if my original answer causes any issues.

Note I do know that very very old versions of BE (9.x/10/x) did not allow it either, but then those old versions also popped up an error if the console was running when you stopped the job engine.