Forum Discussion

celcat
Level 3
10 years ago

Full Domain Controller recovery - BE 2014

All, I'm trying to get to the bottom of the process being recovering an AD controller to new hardware when no other AD controller is present. In my test environment, I have managed to recover the ...
    10 years ago

All,

Just to update you on this. The reason it appears why AD was not working after the simple disater recovery is because the System State of the AD Server was not being backed up correctly. The System State in the job is selected and the jobs are sucessful but I noticed I was getting errors like the following: -

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\einstaller.exe is not present on the snapshot.

Upon further investigation, it appears that these services are invalid on the AD Server so I have been through the registry and removed these. My backups are now still working as before but I am now able to select the System State on my restored media server so why the failings of these services is causing the whole system state to not back up correctly is beyond me. The other issue this caused was a loading media problem on the restored Media Server during a catalog operation which since removing the invalid services, it also now working fine.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this.

Regards

Chris