Forum Discussion

15 years ago

Restoring a LUN volume on a NetApp device

Hi,

We are trying to restore a LUN that is located on a StoreVault S550 device (now called NetApp S550) and we are having issues.   This is test to see if it works.  I have been in contact with NetApp and they aren't having much luck.

Here is the information about equipment:

Software: Backup Exec v12 rev 1364
Tape Drive: HP Autoloader 1/8

When trying to restore a LUN (that still exists on NetApp device) we get the following error:

NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sat Dec 19 10:31:53 2009: Begin level 0 restore
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sat Dec 19 10:31:53 2009: Reading directories from the backup
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sat Dec 19 10:32:04 2009: Creating files and directories.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Warning: cannot create file on online vdisk ./opstest 
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: The directory: ./restore_symboltable could not be restored with its original name.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: It has been renamed to: ./rstabRENAME4B64ABF6
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sat Dec 19 10:32:06 2009: Writing data to files.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/attributes
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/lunmap
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/prefix
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/suffix
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: File creation failed on online vdisk: ./opstest_ntstreams_5300000/persistent.reservations
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: RESTORE IS DONE
NDMP Data Halted: Succesful
NDMP Mover Halted: Connect Closed
I thought it might have something to the LUN still existing on the NetApp device, so I deleted it.  Now I get the following error:

NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sun Dec 20 15:53:19 2009: Begin level 0 restore
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sun Dec 20 15:53:19 2009: Reading directories from the backup
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sun Dec 20 15:53:30 2009: Creating files and directories.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: The directory: ./restore_symboltable could not be restored with its original name.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: It has been renamed to: ./rstabRENAME4B64ABF6
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: Sun Dec 20 15:53:33 2009: Writing data to files.
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: LUN files can only be restored to qtree root directories
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: can't mark as LUN: ./opstest: Undefined error: 0
NDMP Log Message: RESTORE: RESTORE IS DONE
NDMP Data Halted: Succesful
NDMP Mover Halted: Connect Closed
I am needing help and was hoping someone had run across this issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Scott
  • You cannot restore a single file into the root of a volume - your choices are

1) Restore the whole volume containing the LUN (might not be that useful)
    2) Create a Qtree on a folder and restore the LUN into that Qtree - note this is assuming that your LUN was oriiginally on the root of the volume and not in a qtree folder already - if it was in a qtree folder already you will have to make sure you have the latest hotfixes installed, then modify the registry, then create your qtree subfolder to restore to, the do a redirected restore (as per http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316576 )

14 Replies