Forum Discussion

jhirth
Level 2
15 years ago

Travan TR5 data recovery

Hi,

I'm a data recovery engineer working a case where I've been asked to recover data off some Travan TR5 tapes that are about 10 years old.

I have a drive that can read the tapes and I've done a hexdump of the data. The header contains references to Arcada Software, Inc., indicating that these backups were probably originally created by Seagate Backup Exec 2.0i, or possibly Backup Exec Desktop 4.5, so far as I can tell from my research.

Is it possible to get a copy of either of these old versions of the software? Anyone have any other ideas for me?

Thank you
JYH

4 Replies

• Phew! that is very old. Can you please try it with the ntbackup utility provided by Windows because seagate gave the technology to windows and they started using it in the form of ntbackup.

• I tried it with ntbackup first.

Ntbackup creates a header indicating the MTF file type. The header on this backup shows Aracada Software, Inc. Seagate bought the software from Arcada. At some point later they changed to the MTF filetype and then gave it to MS for ntbackup. These backups predate even MTF.
  • I think that you are SOL, but I've set the Support Flag, so it should get a Symentec Employee respose fairly soon
  • You may want to try mom and pop computer shops in the area, ebay, and the like.  IT people are pack rats,and you never know if they'll have the media laying around somewhere...