Forum Discussion

villeah
Level 5
11 years ago

Update to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.

I'm trying to catalog tape, but Catalog Job stays in running state and nothing happens.Following error message pops up in windows event log every 30 seconds.

Update to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.
Reason:  E:\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs\<SERVERNAME>\ PerformBulkInsert()
r:\honshu\1798.1300r\becat\catindex\dll\..\catdbupdatethread.cpp(501)

I have rebuilt indexes, but it didn't help.

What next? I have some critical data to restore..

• This article help me to catalog the media http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH140538 .

However..this didn't solve my problem, because I still wasn't able to restore individual mail items from AVVI backup. I was only able to see the .vmdk files, but not GRT data. I am pretty sure that backup jobs were successfull, because I am normally re-runnning my monthly jobs if errors occur.

I registered a case with Symantec, and spend hours with support representative to solve this problem. We couldn't find the solution this problem, only thing we were able to do was to duplicate the data to disk storage.

Then we agreed, that I will try to mount the virtual disk with vmware, and use third party tool to mount edb and restore missing mail items to pst file. So, I used Vmware Player to mount the disk, copied the edb from there to usb drive, opened the edb file with VeeAm, and exported missing mail items to PST. Yes, I did it with another backup software..

Actually this looks bad for Backup Exec, because If I face this scenario again (luckily it happens rarely), I have to do this process again, and it takes time.

22 Replies