Forum Discussion

takaratta
Level 4
14 years ago

What is internal processing of "Backup Exec Microsoft SQL Server Agent"?

What is internal processing of "Backup Exec Microsoft SQL Server Agent"?
Is it SQL Server Standard Utility?

There is one server.
This server have SQL Database.
And, we set backup using "SQL Server Standard Backup Utility" by "SQL Server Management Studio".
This setting is "Full Backup" every day.

We will install Backup Exec to this server.
Our require of backup is...
  - Full Backup on Sunday
  - Diff Backup on Monday - Saturday

If the internal processing "Backup Exec Microsoft SQL Server Agent" is "SQL Standard Utility", we cannot satisfy the requirement of *1.

I want to know the internal processing of "Backup Exec Microsoft SQL Server Agent".

• BE will call the SQL Server API when it is backing up SQL Server databases.  I don't understand what you meant by "we cannot satisfy the requirement of *1."

5 Replies

• >   - Diff Backup on Monday - Saturday

This means Differencial Backup from Sunday of being backed up by BE.

• BE will call the SQL Server API when it is backing up SQL Server databases.  I don't understand what you meant by "we cannot satisfy the requirement of *1."

• I'm sorry, *1 means as follows

> Our require of backup is...
    >   - Full Backup on Sunday
    >   - Diff Backup on Monday - Saturday

For your information,

I have already set 'Full Backup Every Day at 20:00' by SQL Server Management Studio.

And, I will set 'Full Backup on Sunday at 23:00' and 'Diff Backup on Monday to Saturday at 23:00'.

Normally, 'Differencial Backup' of BE is....

Sun    Mon    Tue    Wed    Thu    Fri    Sat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Backup Exec                             Full   Diff   Diff   Diff   Diff   Diff   Diff
                                             |       |      |      |
                                             --------       |      |
                                             |              |      |
                                             ----------------      |
                                             |                     |
                                             -----------------------

'Differencial Backup' means the differencial from Sunday.

But, I will set as follows,

Sun    Mon    Tue    Wed    Thu    Fri    Sat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SQL Server Management Studio            Full   Full   Full   Full   Full   Full   Full
    Backup Exec                             Full   Diff   Diff   Diff   Diff   Diff   Diff

'BE Diff on Monday' is the differencial from SQL Server Management Studio on Monday.
    'BE Diff on Tuesday' is the differencial from SQL Server Management Studio on Tuesday.

But I want 'BE Diff on Monday' is the differencial from 'BE Full on Sunday'. ***2

You said,
    > BE will call the SQL Server API when it is backing up SQL Server databases.

In other words, I cannot backup of ***2 .
    ***2 is our best solution. But we need 'SQL Server Management Studio Full Backup every day'.
    I examine other way.

• I don't know why you are backing up your SQL databases using both BE and the SQL Management Studio.  If you need to do a full and an incremental backup each day, you can do so with just BE.  You don't need to use SQL Management Studio.

• I also know it.

I need to arrange between end user and server administrator and so on....

If BE backup is different SQL Standard Backup Utility, I don't need to arrange.