Forum Discussion

Aaron_Heid
Level 4
19 years ago

archive and backup scheduling

I am curious as to what Symantec recommends as best practice for EV backups and mailbox archiving scheduling. Currently both our exchange backups and our EV servers backups run at 5:30pm. Both take any where from about 30min to 90min. Mailbox archiving is scheduled from 10pm to 6am.

I am thinking about changing it so archiving runs after exchange backup, say 7pm to 3am. And then backing up the EV servers at 3:30am.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Thanks in advance.

13 Replies

• No problem... everyone is entitled to an opinion.. ;)

re: Safety copies and pending shortcuts... I understand the issue with users seeing pending shortcuts but if the backup strategy is designed and managed properly (mentioned previously - backup Exchange, Archive, Backup Enterprise Vault and this occurs during typical off-hours)... then users should not see pending shortcuts - unless they are working in the middle of the night or something like that.
  • I hear ya, but there's a great # of backup programs out there that don't flip the A bits right, or the vault stores are so outa hand that the backups take days. It's frightening how many people don't get partitioning or let their stores get to like 800gb's without collections.

micah
  • If you back up the vault store right after you run archiving you should not have any items pending. Hence the best practice of backup exchange, archive, backup vault store. If you are seeing pending items setting around then there is a bigger issue at hand.