Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Archiving Office 365 email using On-prem Enterprise Vault

I would like to use on prem Enterprise Vault SMTP to archive email from Office 365. I have a fair idea of how it work but would like to know if it just makes a copy of Office 365 email and stores it in EV or does it pull the email from Office 365 and archives it into EV?

The purpose here is to determine whether the Office 365 mailbox size will reduce once the archive policy is applied.

• i wanted to chime in with a simple yes/no since i saw this post still hasn't been marked as solved.

"if it just makes a copy of Office 365 email and stores it in EV"yes. it uses journaling and that's how journaling always has worked.

"does it pull the email from Office 365 and archives it into EV" - no. the email stays in O365. it's just a copy that's sent to your EV server via the journal rule and (send connector.)

"whether the Office 365 mailbox size will reduce once the archive policy is applied" - no. it's a copy.

9 Replies

• i wanted to chime in with a simple yes/no since i saw this post still hasn't been marked as solved.

"if it just makes a copy of Office 365 email and stores it in EV"yes. it uses journaling and that's how journaling always has worked.

"does it pull the email from Office 365 and archives it into EV" - no. the email stays in O365. it's just a copy that's sent to your EV server via the journal rule and (send connector.)

"whether the Office 365 mailbox size will reduce once the archive policy is applied" - no. it's a copy.

GertjanA

Hello,

There are two archiving types for O365. Journal Archiving, or user mailbox archving.

See Archiving O365 for more information.

KhamateeBrown
        Level 2

Thank you for your response. So based on the policies and retention set it will pull the emails from Office 365 and archive it into EV thereby reducing the mailbox size.

Users are already migrated from Exchange to Office 365. As of now users cannot access the already archived emails that were done when Exchange was in the environment.

When SMTP mailbox journaling is configured for Office 365 would they have access to the previous archived emails?