Forum Discussion

PAC_11
Level 3
13 years ago

Audit Admin Access

Hi,

I am using Enterprise Vault Version 9 and have turned on Auditing features. I now need to access the audit logs so i can view any admin access. i.e. If User1 changes the access to User2's vault archive, i need to be able to view that change in a log. This is so the security manager can track anything the admins are changing in terms of account access.

I have set up the Reports config to link into SQL server and it seems to being back some results but they are not searchable results. I am using the AuditViewer.exe to view the results as there does not seem to be any way of search via the SQL reports.

Could someone please assist in pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks

• thats what i also found, it only seems to audit mailbox interaction but not archive interaction

would suggest creating a new idea, other than that, you may want to look in to Roles Based Administration limiting users that you may not trust or may not want to be granting those kind of permissions

13 Replies

• We can look into Role Based Admin but unsure if that will fit the bill. My team has full access to EV but another manager needs the same access to perform email investigations. However, his manager wants his actions to be audited to ensure he is only looking at the vault accounts he needs to. He also should not have to come to the system admins to get approval. Hence where my job in looking into auditing admin access comes in.

No worries though. Thanks for the info. If it can't be done, it can't be done.

• what is the scope of the email investigations?
    you could look at Discovery Accelerator, but this is a big piece that is really meant for legal users to search all vaults, export items, put users and items on legal holds and such.

You could always just give him PST Export access through RBA and he can export said user to a PST file and search through there.

Plus if there are items that are suspicious and such and you want to preserve that data, you can't put on a legal hold without using Discovery Accelerator or adding the hold via the API (using VBS or something such as that)

• The scope is the person needing access is the company Security Manager and when he is conducting email investigations into company staff he usually grants himself access to the users mailbox which is audited but now that we have EV, he cannot access any items that have been vaulted as he gets access denied. He wants to be able to grant himself access to this but we cannot give him access to the EV console unless any changes he makes can be attributed to him. If this can't be audited then he will have to ask for approval.

I think the Discovery Accelerator would be a step too far to make something work for just one person. I will have a look at this though just to make sure.

Can the the PST Export access be audited?