Forum Discussion

Sortid
Level 6
13 years ago

Changing partition types

Im using EV9 Sp2.  At the moment we are using SAN attached storage for partitions, with NTFS.  If I wanted to move to a new storage type (Cellera for example), would it be possible to do this for all partitions (old and new) or would I only be able to create new ones?  Would I have to create a new Vault Store and migrate archives onto it?  If partition 1 was NTFS, could I copy the data, delete Partition 1, create a new partition 1 on Cellera then copy the data back?

Thanks. 

• Well CIFS would just be set as network share or NTFS if you are mounting it as a drive If you could test it that might show you what issues you might encounter, but I doubt it will be anything at all Is there even a cellera option when creating a new partition?

5 Replies

• The Celerra is just going to be using CIFS right?
    You might not even have to bother changing types, i mean its not massively different from NTFS unlike say a Centera or something very specific like that

• Yep, just CIFS.  In the partition creation wizard though, you need to choose the storage type, so wouldn't you have to use Celerra rather then NTFS?

• Well CIFS would just be set as network share or NTFS if you are mounting it as a drive If you could test it that might show you what issues you might encounter, but I doubt it will be anything at all Is there even a cellera option when creating a new partition?
  • Yep, it's called "EMC Celerra Unified Storgae Platforms".  So any storage device that can present CIFS could be added as a partition using "Network Share?  You don't have to specifically identify the actual storage type?

• Hi SortID.  That is correct it can be added as network share using CIFS. Personally speaking I would recommend leaving the data on SAN attached storage.