Forum Discussion

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
7 years ago

Coexisting EV 10 and EV 12

Hi,  We are planning to upgrade EV 10 to EV 12. I know in one directory database we cannot run 2 versions of EV. But, how about create 2 directory in one active directory? Is it possible 1 exchange ...
    VirgilDobos
    7 years ago

Hi Iqbal,

Assuming you are referring to the native EV move archive tool. The amount of time really depends on the infrastructure. Have a look at this article for more information about this built-in feature: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH129236

If this doesn't satisfy your requirements, you may want to look at 3rd party migration tools from TransVault, Globanet or Quatro-tech.

Still, I would not recommend creating a new EV environment unless you have strong limitations or business requirements. 

ChrisLangevin
    7 years ago

I second Virgil's recommendation that you don't make a new environment. You say The Management like Exchange's mixed mode coexistence, but you need to make them understand that what you've proposed with EV is not like that. Exchange can have multiple versions running in one Organization, but EV needs two totally separate Directories that know nothing about each other. This means twice as many EnterpriseVaultDirectory, EVMonitoring, and EVAudit databases to maintain; it means if you want to find an item, there are two separate places you have to look. There are use cases that make this EV setup worthwhile, but smoothing over a relatively tame upgrade (just two major versions) isn't really one of them, in my opinion.

All that said, if you do elect to go for this anyway, then: provisioning, provisioning, provisioning. Make sure the two systems are never touching the same mailboxes or they will overwrite each other's hidden messages and get in a fight.

--Chris