Forum Discussion

BlueBull
Level 4
11 years ago

Duplicate emails in EV Search after PST Ingestion

Hi,

I have run a PST ingestion using EVPM. Some users had 5 to 10 PST files. After the PST ingestion, if the same message is found in different PST files, EV shows the same message multiple times in Archive Explorer and Search.

I have also noticed that if the message resided in the users mailbox and in the PST file, duplication occurs within Search and Archive Explorer.

Does anyone know why this occurs and if there is a resolution for this issue?

I am currently running EV 10.0.4.

Regards,

• Duplicates are created because the email is in different PST's.  This is totally expected behavior.

Very similar behavior as described here:

Importing the same PST multiple times creates duplicate emails in a user's mailbox archive.

Article:TECH66230  |  Created: 2010-02-08  |  Updated: 2011-07-01  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66230

Cause

By design, every time a PST is imported into an archive, Enterprise Vault (EV) will import all eligible messages even if they already exist.  When performing searches for archived email, duplicate results will be returned. 

4 Replies

• there is no real sokution in the product.

thirdy party products such as pst flightdeck can defuplicate data before ingestion.

for those you have imported you maybe able to write some code to remove the duplicates but it wouldnt be straight forward.

• Is there a document describing why duplicates would be created?

• Not that I am aware of.. but think about. It's the same email (to you and me) but it's a different message in a different PST file.

• Duplicates are created because the email is in different PST's.  This is totally expected behavior.

Very similar behavior as described here:

Importing the same PST multiple times creates duplicate emails in a user's mailbox archive.

Article:TECH66230  |  Created: 2010-02-08  |  Updated: 2011-07-01  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66230

Cause

By design, every time a PST is imported into an archive, Enterprise Vault (EV) will import all eligible messages even if they already exist.  When performing searches for archived email, duplicate results will be returned.