Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Enterprise Vault Exchange archiving

Requirements as follows,

1. ALL Exchange messages are retrievable (either not deleted (legal hold) and/or journaled)),  AND
  2. Individual Users can search and retrieve their own messages AND
  3. An Administrator with designated permissions can search and retrieve all messages.

Based on my limited understanding,  Item 1 and 3 can be achieved with either legal hold or journaling plus e-discovery but achieving Item 2 is difficult.

Any feedback appreciated.

• There is no built in functionalitly of EV that allows you do all of these.  You could look at a Vault Solutions product: http://www.vault-solutions.com/Products/enterprise-vault-end-user-search-and-restore.html

Regards,

7 Replies

• With EV Item 2 will require mailbox archiving which is separate from journaling.  As you are a partner I would assume you would know this.  If you are not a partner specializing in EV you might want to engage your Symantec Partner Manager for assistance.

TS

• I understand archiving can be accesssed via self service, the question is how do I ensure that no emails have been deleted prior to being archived.

Thanks.

• the journaling function of exchange ensures that a pristine copy of every email sent and received by your org will be archived without having to worry about a user deleting them at any point.

• Thanks,  I understand that Journaling achieves objective 1.

The requirement is that Objective 1 is achieved as well as the ability for users to retrieve their own messages, i.e Objective 2.

Any thoughts?

• There is no built in functionalitly of EV that allows you do all of these.  You could look at a Vault Solutions product: http://www.vault-solutions.com/Products/enterprise-vault-end-user-search-and-restore.html

Regards,

• objective 1 and 2 are achieved by journal archiving and mailbox archiving respectively. since you're a partner, should you have any further questions feel free to reach out to me directly and maybe we can help you out offline.

• Hey Andy,

Based on his original post and follow-ups he wants all mail captured AND end users to self service and be able to search those mails.  As you know, mailbox archiving will not guarantee a capture of all mail from the mailbox so he can't meet his objectives with built in funtionality.

TS