Forum Discussion

vmds
Level 5
13 years ago

EV and Exchange 2010 Dumpster

Hi,

i have a question regarding Archiving (EV9) and a large Dumpster setting in Exchange 2010.

A customer has the dumpster set for all user to ~3000 days. What happens, when EV archives mail from those mailboxes? After the Mail gets deleted, will it remain in the dumpster? Will the dumpster grow in size, if lots of mail gets archived and thus deleted?

And, same question for the legal hold setting. Will archiving make the database grow in size if legal hold is active?

Greetings

12 Replies

• So, an Update on this:

Two environments:

Customer A

Exchange 2010 SP1 U5, EV 9.0.1

Journaling is activated. Upon archiving the Journaling Mailbox, the dumpster (recoverable items) is NOT growing. The dumpster is deactivated for this mailbox and has never been activated.

Customer B (the one with the original reported problem):

Exchange 2010 SP1 U2, EV 10.0

Journaling is activated, dumpster was activated but has been deactivated. Upon archiving the journaling mailbox, the dumpster (recoverable items) is growing very large (1,7 TB at the moment).

Any idea why this is happening? We will have a call with microsoft why the dumpster is growing when its deactivated (but has been activated in the past), but why is it growing while archiving? 

Do journaling and mailbox archiving differ? 

We are still trying to figure out, what to do now. We have a call for the microsoft patch for our own environment active as we see large database grows as well. If the patch helps, we will implement this on customer side.

I am unsure if i should open a call with symantec for the dumpster issue as well.

Greetings

• As mentioned earlier by JW2 legal hold as a severe impact on the recoverable items versioning folder (part of dumpster 2.0).  Have you validated the journal mailbox is not on hold?

One way to determine if the journal mailbox is filling the dumpster is to use a tool such as MFCMAPI.  From this create a profile to the journal mailbox, you can then view the folder content of the mailbox - this shows you the folders you don't normally see in Outlook.  You should be able to find the Recoverable Items folder which will have three sub folders (off the top of my head Deletions,Purges,Versions).  Check the PR_CONTENT_COUNT for each folder.  If the mailbox is on legal hold the purges and versioning folder could well have lots of items in them.

EV doesn't differ in journal and mailbox archiving in the manner it deletes items.

Thanks

Karl