Forum Discussion

shocko
Level 4
4 years ago

Hydrating a mailbox with Vault Items - Noisey Items

We are moving some of our mailboxes from Exchange 2016 [Ex2016] to Exchange Online [EOL] in Office 365. In Ex2016 we use Enterprise Vault 12 [EV12] to archive mail. Before we migrate the users mailbo...
    GertjanA
    4 years ago

Hello Shocko,

As both Marc and Prone2types want to say is that this is how the 'export archive to mailbox' works.

Depending on the amount of archives you need to restore, it might be wise to look at 3rd party tools. I have done 40.000 archives, using Transvault. That allows to migrate an archive to a subfolder in the mailbox, which makes it easier for a user to 'understand' what is from the archive, and what is 'newer'.

I migrated archives to a subfolder called "old archives". I also defined to restore calendar entries to 'old calendar', instead of the actual calendar. Now, Transvault is licensed per amount of TB you need to restore (see Usage.asp for a high level estimate on TB's you need to migrate). 

As you perhaps have read, Veritas acquired Globanet. Veritas now has a tool called Migrate. That could also assist.

Using EV to do it when you have a 'small' amount of archives, you will have to face some user-discussions to explain that the issues you report happen..

Good luck in your journey :-)